Saturday, April 17, 2010

Christian Classical Education and the Lord's calling

Isaiah 54:13 ~"And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children."I feel both called and blessed to be a homeschooling mom. I don't think there is anything more important I could do with my life than to care for, love, and educate my children.

(Proverbs 22:6~ "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.")It is not always easy. I struggled, especially the first year with decisions and curriculum and whether they were doing okay. Then l I realized that I need to "Let go and Let God".

When I let go I discovered a teaching and homeschooling method that was a perfect fit for us.

We began using a Charlotte Mason style to educate our children. It is not perfect, I will never claim to school my children JUST as Ms. Mason did or as she called for. I am still learning along with the children. The use of narration, REAL living books, nature study, composer and artist study, copywork, and the gentle art of her methods just FIT us. It helped make us all more relaxed and happy.

Intially, we homeschooled almost strictly according to the Charlotte Mason methods. The growth and education of my children using these methods astounds me! I have been amazed constantly that this glorious, NATURAL method of living and learning has worked so exceedingly well!

Recently, we began adding a Christian Classical style of education. I was hesitant at first because I did not have a full understanding of the Christian Classical model. I was suprised, once I began reading and researching this style, to find it quite similar to the approaches I have used in studies with the CM principles.

There are only a few (although important) differences in the two styles that I can see. Many believe (see Karen Glass' article on "The Well Trained Mind" forum) that because Sayer's essay, "The Lost Tools of Learning" was written long after Ms. Mason that she might agree with the differences in the Christian Classical Education. Ms. Mason, too, reached back into the past to classical educators.

In the book, "Classical Education and the Homeschool", written by Wesley Callihan, Douglas Jones, and Douglas Wilson, there is a quote from R.L. Dabney that I believe sums up what we are all trying to do and know we MUST do, "The education of children for God is the most important business done on earth. It is the one business for which the earth exists. "

My children constantly delight and challenge me! I am so incredibly blessed!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

1 comment:

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

I have recently discovered your blog and just wanted to say hello!! We are in our first year of homeschooling after our children have been in a wonderful classical christian school - I am a firm believer in the CM and classical approach as well!