Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lewis Caroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" & A Free Online Audio Resource


We are so excited to finally be reading Lewis Caroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland!"  I have been wanting to share this amazing read with my children for some time!  I wanted to ensure my younger daughters (6 yo) would be able to comprehend and keep up with the story. 

With Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" releasing in March I thought it was a great time to read the original story!  My plan is to read the original story and study it with my children, culminate with a family 'outing' to see the new movie, rent the Disney version of "Alice in Wonderland," and then have my children compare/contrast the different versions!  Obviously- my kiddos are 8, 6, and 6 so I'm not expecting college essays but I'm hoping to use my son's IEW lessons to assist him in writing a short review, and helping my daughters to learn to organize their ideas by way of narrating (while I write) their opinions to me and allowing them to illustrate it and put these with thier 'lapnotes' and notebooking pages.  My prayers are this will be a fun and enjoyable unit study for us all!

My goal is to complete the weekly unit study lapnotes and notebooking pages about a week ahead of my children (always the goal!) and post them here so others can enjoy them as well.  The chapters can be long and I want to stop often for narrating to ensure that my children understand the plot and characters.  This is such a lively and interesting story but has so many off beat twists and turns - I want to be careful that they are not lost!   If you would like- I would love for you and your children to journey with us into Wonderland!

 **NOTE: I am not promoting the new movie in any way- I have made a personal choice knowing my own children and what we find appropriate for them and after reading several reviews, parents' guides, and advisories chosen to take my children to this movie.  This does not mean that I am in any position to make this decision for anyone else!  It is a personal, family choice. **

Unit Study
Week 1- Click here

Links you may find helpful or interesting:
FREE Online Audio Resource- Story Nory's audio download, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great! I didn't know anything about the movie but have always found the book intrigueing. I know my oldest read the "children's classic" version of this but I look forward to doing this study as a family. Are you planning on posting a new "lesson" each week? I hope so!

Thanks!

Gerky

Unknown said...

Man, wrong profile. You can find me at http://homefrontlines.blogspot.com

Lee said...

Do you have the rest of the chapter lessons to share with us?