Thursday, August 14, 2008

Scripture Du Jour- "I'm Afraid of the Dark"


Considering the present health concerns and fears going on in my own family- as usual Mrs. Terri Ferrell's "Scripture Du Jour" this morning spoke to my heart. It never seems to fail that no matter what joy or sorrow or good times or difficult times are going on in my life - Terri's emails "hit the spot"! I thank God for Terri and her wonderful daily emails. If you are interested in recieving her emails for yourself, simply email her at midwsunbeam@afo.net

"I’M AFRAID OF THE DARK"
To Read: Proverbs 12:1-8

We continue thinking about the fact that, as soon as the psalmist considered the end of the ungodly, everything dropped into focus. Their true position became so clear to him that his language in the rest of the psalm indicates that he not only ceased to be envious of the ungodly, but began to be sorry for them. Indeed, the same thing will happen to us too – the more we focus on the ultimate end of the unconverted, the more compassion we will feel for them.

How grim and cheerless is the non-Christian view of life, especially as it relates to the end. Dr. Marrett, a rationalist and head of one of the colleges in Oxford, wrote, as he neared the end of his life: "I have nothing to look forward to but chill autumn and still chillier winter and yet I must somehow try not to lose heart." H.G. Wells, who ridiculed and scoffed at Christianity with its doctrine of sin and salvation, said at the end of his life that he was utterly baffled and bewildered. The title of his last book summed up his view of things: A Mind at the End of its Tether. A noted atheist, when he was dying, asked one of his relatives for a lighted candle to be placed in his hand. "Why a lighted candle?" asked the concerned relative. "Because I am afraid to go out into the dark," was the reply.

How foolish to look enviously at the lifestyle of the ungodly, focusing only on their present successes and the marvelous time they seem to be having, without considering their end. We should never forget that no matter how glittering their lifestyle, the death of the ungodly is a terrible thing.

Prayer
O Father, let this sobering thought not only free me from envy but stimulate within me a deep concern for those who do not know You. May I be used in someway to halt the progress of someone on the road to a lost eternity. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Further Study
1 Timothy 6:1-10; Psalm 49:10; Proverbs 23:5; 27:24

What truth did Paul reflect to Timothy?
How does the same truth affect the way we live our lives?

Dear Sisters and Brothers,
"Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Case from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret - it only causes harm. For evildoers shall be cut off; but those who wait on the Lord, they shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more; indeed, you will look carefully for his place, but it shall b e no more. But the meek shall inherit the earth, and delight themselves in the abundance of peace" (Psalm 37:7-11).

This Scripture text was so good I could not just put down a small part of it. Note the advice given to the godly "do not fret…cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret – it only causes harm". Why should we worry and stew and steam over what appears to be unjust and unfair? Is not our God reigning right now? Is He not in control? What should we worry? Better to be concerned for the unsaved in the world. How can you reach out to them?

As for fearing death and the beyond, I can speak to that from personal experience. Before I was saved by and for the Lord, I used to fear most everything. When my husband went on work trips, I would lie awake at nights wincing at every creak the house made and almost jumping out of my skin when our cat leaped on the bed to spend the night with me. I could almost hear the footsteps of an intruder and kept my security alarm on the bedside table. Fear was my constant companion in the dark. Now I can sleep with confidence and security, because "God is my refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore [I] will not fear" (Psalm 46:1-2).
Blessed be the Name of the Lord!

In the precious Name of Jesus,
Terri

"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24: 15

No comments: