Monday, September 22, 2008

Pumpkin Prayer Idea :)

Pumpkin Prayer

Christians seem to have different opinions on whether to celebrate Halloween or not. Everyone should have the right to do as they think is BEST for THEIR family. We happen to attend a church that has a special night for the kids AT the church rather than "trick or treating". They normally have a moon bounce indoors for the kids, games, and a potluck dinner where we can all fellowship and celebrate a new season.

The Bible speaks frequently of seasons and autumn (the planting season) -

Ecclesiastes 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every
purpose under the heaven:
Ecclesiastes 3:2 A time to be born, and a time to
die; a timeto plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

Our church follows up our activities with a "trunk or treat" in which we all decorate our car trunks seasonally (not scary) and the kids can walk around to the trunks (the cars are parked in a large circle in the parking lot away from the road) and obtain candy and pencils and other goodies. My children have great fun at it and we will continue to join in.

HOWEVER ~ I understand so many Christians decision to skip the creepy, scary, death ridden fiasco Halloween has become. I am not surprised that so many choose to keep their children from it all. I simply trust in the fellowship of the other parents in our church to make it worshipping of a new SEASON.

With that said :) - the reason I blogged this, this morning was to pass along a CUTE little pumpking prayer that was passed to me through an email this morning. The email arrives from a website Sunday School Lesson Plans.

My thoughts (and reason for the long explanation above lol :) are that even if you do not celebrate Halloween, you can use the activity below for baking pumpkin anything. Clean the seeds and pulp for pies or cookies. The rest of the activity can be solely focused on our Lord and the pumpkin disposed of afterwards if you wish - instead of displayed as a "jack o' lantern". I just thought the ideas was so cute I had to share! I hope you find a way to enjoy it! :)

Here's a great little "Pumpkin Prayer" activity you can use with your Sunday School aswe transition into October:

Dear God,
As I carve my pumpkin, help me say this prayer:
Open my mind so I can learn about You; (Cut the top of the pumpkin)
Take away all my sin and forgive me for the wrong things I do; (Clean out the inside)
Open my eyes so Your Love I will see; (Cut eyes shaped like hearts)
I'm sorry for turning up my nose to all You've given me; (Cut a nose in the shape of the cross)
Open my ears so Your Word I will hear; (Cut ears shaped like the Bible)
Open my mouth so I can tell others You're near; (Cut mouth in the shape of a fish)
Let Your Light shine in all I say and do! Amen. (Place a candle and light)





1 comment:

MittenMom said...

Thank you for the prayer my family will use it this year as we carve our pumpkins. I copied it on my blog and put a link back to you so others could see it too.
www.middleofthemitten.blogspot.com