Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sketch Tuesday - 'Something Brown'

Sketch Tuesday - September 23, 2008
'Something Brown'

This week's Sketch Tuesday was to sketch something brown. I was reading through scripture this morning and this particular verse reminded me of Barb from Harmony Art Mom who puts these together for us every week.
"...Pursue faith and love and peace, and enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts." ~2Timothy 2:22 NLT

I have never met Barb in person - only via our blogs and emails, however, I feel a certain kinship with her because we have such similar views on our children, homeschooling, nature and more. I also feel a total appreciation for what she does. When we consider how incredibly busy our weeks and days are as homeschooling moms and wives and friends ~ how amazing that she finds the time to put out these 'Sketch Tuesdays' along with thier slide shows weekly. And of course, her 'Outdoor Hour Challenges' to help the rest of us with our planning and with new and fresh ideas. I just thank her from the bottom of my heart. I know I have said it before, but if you haven't tried her blogs - by all means- do so NOW! :) They are a lot of fun ~ and very little work on our part. On Tuesdays, I recieve an email (I'm a subscriber to her blog) that gives the subject of the week's sketch and provide it to my children along with their sketch supplies and away they go! Then I simply email them to Barb and she puts together a slideshow of ALL of the children's works.

HERE is last week's slideshow.

My children get a big 'kick' out of seeing their own sketches on the computer and then we have fun looking at the sketches from other children on the slide show. It's fun to look at the ideas the other participants came up with and also the ages of the other kids. My children love to see a drawing that they really 'take' to and find out the artist is their age! :) It's a lot of fun and for those that struggle with fitting in art and drawing - here's a SIMPLE but FUN way to add it in to your plans. :) I simply block the time off for it every week KNOWING I'll fit it in because the kids want to be in the slideshow and Barb's done all the work of the ideas for us! I really encourage you to give it a try if you haven't. You can see my children's sketches for this week above.

Alyssa - as girly as she is was moved to draw a leaf and dirt (the first sketch on the right)~ then she looked outside and remembered that my husband was tearing down our old front porch and replacing it and suddenly (being the handygirl around here who LOVES watching my husband work) she was so excited to draw one of the wooden chairs from the front and a piece of lumber! :)



Briana - my little gardener - sketched (the second sketch down to the left) a robin feeding worms to her babies. Brown worms being fed to robin babies in a brown nest in a tree with brown bark!! :)

And Chance - my little extreme sports guy (he does motorcross, skateboarding, BMX biking, and tae kwon do/ kickboxing and sparring) - decided to draw a brown 'Tony Hawk' hat (above to the right).
This is always fun to talk about with the "well, aren't your kids unsocialized" type questions since all three of my children are very active in sports, homeschool & church activities, and hobbies ~ but that's another blog! ha ha ! :) Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

Tina in WA said...

HI,

I found your blog via AO yahoo group and just wanted to say Hello to another feel OD Hour challenger and Sketch Tuesday friend. You have a wonderful blog. :)

With that said though, we haven't done much of either lately, but I do plan on getting back into the routine of things soon. We really appreciate all that Barb and Amanda (her DD from Hearts and Trees) have done for the homeschooling community. They are both gems.

Can't wait to see what else you share in your nature study journey.

Blessings,

Tina